Thursday, April 29, 2010

It's All In the Prep

Sorry for the late post today, but I literally sat down for 2 seconds last night and fell asleep! Needless to say, a blog post wasn't going to happen. Also, I apologize for being a little MIA lately...This past month has been a whirlwind! I don't think I can remember a time when I've had so many bookings! Definitely not complaining, just explaining. :) When you're barely getting 4 hrs of sleep per night (at best), there's not much time for anything else. My hair was in desperate need of some love,  so yesterday after my last job of the week, I went to see my sweet friend and colleague, Marissa,  for a fresh cut and color. (look for a separate post on this later) In exchange for hair services, I did Marissa's makeup for an event she was going to. We were having so much fun pampering each other, being girlie, and appreciating each others skills. We're always taking care of other people, so it was really nice for US to get glammed up for a change! While I was doing Marissa's makeup, she was asking me how I do glowy foundation, and my answer back was...

It's all in the prep!

Isn't that true about so many things? Preparation makes everything easier, and it's no different when it comes to creating a flawless face. By properly prepping your skin, you're allowing for the best possible, blank canvas for your foundation. I'm planning a series on Foundation, as it tends to be tricky for a lot of people, but until then, here are my work horses. These are the products that I use everyday, for every job, and make the skin look healthy and hydrated.

Step 1:
Just a few spritzes of this and you're ready for moisturizer.


Step 2:
This is great for normal to dry skin types, and preps the skin beautifully for foundation.


If I'm working with someone who has oily skin, I often times skip the Embroylisse, and move right on to this primer. Laura Mercier created her original formula in 1995, but now has several versions based on specific needs. I always have on hand, the original, oil free and hydrating.


Step 3:
The most soothing eye cream, that does an excellent job of smoothing the delicate eye area.


Step 4:

While not skin, I always do eye drops during the prep. Everyone looks better and younger when they're well rested, but sometimes we just don't get the sleep we need. (I know!) :) To get the redness out, I rely on Clear Eyes, as they don't sting as much as the others, and do a great job of faking 8 hrs of sleep.



Sometimes, Clear Eyes doesn't cut it. In particular, when working with someone over the age of 55, or with African Americans. Especially the later, as the whites of their eyes tend to be a little yellow. Not always, but sometimes. I save this for those rare occasions, and only if absolutely necessary. But when needed, it's a miracle worker!


Step 5:

I've already talked about it here, but honestly I cannot live with out this balm/enhancer, and my clients can't either! It's so gorgeous by itself, but makes anything you put on top of it even more beautiful!



6 comments:

  1. Great tips! I want to try that Mario Badescu spray now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips -- especially the eyedrops! I rarely manage 8 hours but I'm sure these will help me fake it.
    xxoo Josie
    http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to try the eye drop tips, Oh how I dream of getting 8 hrs of sleep.
    I have be wanting to ask you where you did your training for make-up, I know a few people that do hair but I've never met a real make-up artist so I no nothing about how people learn this craft. You do such a great job explaining everything I'm intriged. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these tips. I am obsessed with my skin, so I love hearing what other people do.

    Thanks for the blog post on Shallon's piece. You offer great advice and insight too!

    xo,
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so tempted to purchase the lip enhancer. I have it open in another tab and I'm itching to go for it! I'm sure I'll break soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all so good to know! I'm constantly reapplying foundation (I use mineral foundation) and maybe with prep, I wouldn't need to do it as much.

    And your comment was so sweet! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete