I’ve already been working on my closet, but Spring is also the perfect time to go through your makeup/skin care, and toss anything old or broken. We all know that makeup and skin care products don’t last forever, so it’s important to know their shelf life.
Here's a general guide:
- Skin Care: Anti-aging and acne treatments: Three months to a year. Antioxidants can oxidize, so be on the lookout for any changes in color.
- Body lotion: Two to three years, particularly if it’s in a pump container.
- Shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel: About three years.
- Bath oil: One year.
- Sunscreen: Check the package for an expiration date.
- Mascara and liquid eyeliner: Three to four months. Make sure you’re diligent about replacing these items to prevent contamination and infections.
- Eye and lip pencils: Three to five years. Pencils should be sharpened before each use as a way to preserve them and keep them clean.
- Lipstick and lip gloss: Two to three years.
- Foundation: About two years.
- Perfume: About two years. Resist the temptation to display a pretty bottle on your vanity. It will last longer if stored in a cool, dark place.
- Nail polish: One year.
- Hairstyling products: Three to five years. Most are alcohol-based, which helps preserve the formula.